LibreOffice

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 28 17:06:28 UTC 2010

I presume that people have started seeing the "stepping a little away
from Oracle" by the OpenOffice.org folk...

Notice that:

0.  http://www.documentfoundation.org/

1.  LibreOffice is the new name.  Necessary, because Oracle owns
trademark on OpenOffice.org

2.  Includes support from RHAT, Canonical, and frankly quite a few
others <http://www.documentfoundation.org/supporters/>

3.  They're breaking with "the old" in one particularly important
sense; OpenOffice.org was, as a 'branch of Sun,' accepting of
proprietary bits.  RMS is very pleased with this change:

"I'm very pleased that the Document Foundation will not recommend
nonfree add-ons, since they are the main freedom problem of the
current OpenOffice.org. I hope that the LibreOffice developers and the
Oracle-employed developers of OpenOffice.org will be able to cooperate
on development of the body of the code." -- RMS

4.  Folks at SPI are wondering how this affects their relationship
with it, as there's an existing relationship.
<http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/openoffice.org.html>