Plug computers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 16:57:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_357&item_id=031468>
>  Currently $99.99 after $10 discount

That's pretty interesting...

I'd rather run a "general purpose" distribution (e.g. - Debian) than a
specialized one, as that allows the same tooling to work for both
"real servers" and this, as a "itty bitty server."

The traditional trouble I have always had with "embedded Linuxes" (as
are probably *most* seen on NAS boxes, also seen on routers) is that
you need to use peculiar procedures to manage them, and likely can't
much back up the resulting configuration.

If I can use a conventional distribution, use etckeeper to backup
configuration <http://joey.kitenet.net/code/etckeeper/>, and have a
miniscule box (that burglars mightn't even realize was there! ;-)),
and have some useful services running, that seems like a fine thing.

I'm not sure the set of services is large enough to warrant buying one
yet.  I'm inclined to give it another year :-).