Girl Gear Pink Computer Equipment....

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 24 00:31:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 02:54:08PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> I was look at the sale page for one of the local computer equipment
> clearance places (Tech Direct Canada) and I saw they were selling pink
> "Girl Gear" keyboards, mice and web cams... My first thought was,
> nobody in their right mind would buy the likes of a pink keyboard ...
> then I  thought a bit, and now I am wondering:
>
> - Would any non-colour blind male buy the above for themselves?

Does that matter?

> - Would any woman over the age of 12 who doesn't work in the beauty /
> cosmetics business buy the above for themselves?

Yes.

> In other words, I can see a VERY tiny, tiny market for pink keyboards,
> mice, etc... right? Sort of strikes me as being like the 1955 Dodge La
> Femme (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_La_Femme), a 1950's take on a
> "women's" car (the results even by the standards of the era were ...
> ghastly)...

My wife (who doesn't think everything should be pink) actually did get an
EeePC 1008HA in pink when her white one broke.  I think to some extent
it was because it was in stock, but I think she also thought at least
it stood out among other laptops.  I suspect if they had been avoidable
in red or blue she would have got that instead.

--
Len Sorensen