Girl Gear Pink Computer Equipment....

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 23 21:48:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I was look at the sale page for one of the local computer equipment
> clearance places (Tech Direct Canada) and I saw they were selling pink
> "Girl Gear" keyboards, mice and web cams... My first thought was,
> nobody in their right mind would buy the likes of a pink keyboard ...
> then I  thought a bit, and now I am wondering:
>
> - Would any non-colour blind male buy the above for themselves?
> - Would any woman over the age of 12 who doesn't work in the beauty /
> cosmetics business buy the above for themselves?
>
> In other words, I can see a VERY tiny, tiny market for pink keyboards,
> mice, etc... right? Sort of strikes me as being like the 1955 Dodge La
> Femme (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_La_Femme), a 1950's take on a
> "women's" car (the results even by the standards of the era were ...
> ghastly)...

There's a woman at my office who has decorated everything in pink.
It's filled with Hello Kitty-branded stuff, Disney stuff, and a pink
keyboard.  She's a software engineer and well respected--not the
bubblegum-blonde you might expect from the outward appearance of her
office nor the painfully geeky type.  I agree the market's probably
small, but it's definitely non-zero in size.

Ian