Building Local Web Apps?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 23 01:34:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know a tool that can let me build web apps for local use -
> that run a webserver and a web front-end in one neat package, so I can
> use the browser to build UIs rather than other tools.  Ideally,
> something that I can deploy across any platform.
>
> I'm taking a look at something called Titanium
> (http://www.appcelerator.com/products/titanium-desktop-application-development/) which looks like it might work out, but I'm not sure about it yet.  I thought I'd pick the list's collective brain to see what you all think.  Thanks.

If you try Titanium, I'd love to hear your take on it.

If you're using KDE, Marcel Gagné wrote an article[1] for the July
issue of Linux Pro Magazine.  He goes through creating Plasma apps for
KDE 4.4 using Javascript and an IDE called PlasMate.  I've no idea
what the most recent version is; the only package I found was the
source tarball for an alpha version[2].

Another alternative might be a custom setup using Prism[3], a server
plugin like POW[4] and a Javascript GUI library like Sencha (formerly
"ExtJS")[5]; it'll probably take some work to get them all playing
nice together however.

Cheers,
- Scott.

[1] Article .pdf at