Reading XD cards from camera; how?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 15:04:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:30:05PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   OK, now that I have a Pentax K-X and generate 15-meg DNG files along
> with 5-meg jpegs each time I take a picture, I actually need a multi-
> gigabyte XD card <G>.  The one problem is that I can't seem to read it
> in any reader.  The only saving grace is that the USB connector that
> plugs into the camera works, showing up as a bog-standard USB drive.
> But transferring and deleting photos eats up battery charge.  I would
> much rather prefer to use something like an SD card reader.
>
>   My question is, is this a hardware issue or a software issue.  Do I
> need to get a new XD-compatable card reader, or is it a matter of
> updating the software on my computer?

Many older readers had size limits (some old SD readers were limited to
512MB, then 2GB eventually, before new SDHC ones came about that do
even bigger).

xC readers are pretty common.  My Dell 2408WFP has an xD reader (and SD
and MS and MMC and CF).  A reader should be pretty cheap ($20 or so).

At work we currently use the Sandisk ImageMate All-in-One (SDDR-189-A20),
which claims to do xD, xD type M, xD type M+ and xD type H.  It even has a
slot for microSD and miniSD so it doesn't even need an adapter for those.
Easy to find at Canada Computers, and probably other places.  It looks
a bit like a micro sized PS3 sitting on a silver stand.

--
Len Sorensen