Reading XD cards from camera; how?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 21 11:38:33 UTC 2010

On 10-09-20 22:30 , Walter Dnes wrote:

>   My question is, is this a hardware issue or a software issue.  Do I
> need to get a new XD-compatable card reader, or is it a matter of
> updating the software on my computer?

I'm a bit confused, Walt - the K-X takes SD and SDHC cards. xD-Picture
Cards are really only used by some Fuji and Olympus cameras. Older SD
readers won't read SDHC, and it's a hardware thing, so you'll need a new
reader. Cheap is as good as expensive - my $10 no-name thing from Canada
Computers works just as well as the sleek Sandisk Pro reader on my desk.

The only card-related device I've ever seen that went from SD to SDHC
compatible with a firmware update was the Sandisk Sansa running RockBox.
I suspect that's more to do with initially limited hardware more than
software magic, though.

 Stewart

(and congrats on the camera. Pentax are one of the few that have kept
their new cameras compatible with their older lenses, so you can get
some great glass for cheap. The 50mm f/1.4 is particularly epic; it'll
be a portrait lens on a K-X, manual focus and aperture, but you won't
get a better picture taker until you're into the very high end Canon and
Nikon lenses. I still occasionally use a Pentax MX from 1975, and it's a
delight.)