Developers Fork Mandriva Linux, Creating Mageia

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 20 16:43:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:14:57PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> I suspect that this has taken place ~5 years too late...
>>
>> The project had the supporting organization fall out from under it
>> once already; for it to happen again does not look very good.
>>
>> This is the *serious* downside of tying systems to the vagaries of
>> supporting corporations, which have a strange tendency to:
>>  a) Get bought by someone else (MySQL, Sun, Oracle, ...)
>>  b) Go out of business (Mandrake has done this twice now.  Oh, no,
>> they now call it
>>      Mandriva...)
>
> Mandriva was the merger of Mandrake and Conectiva.
>
>>  c) Decide that the project isn't in their shareholders' interests
>> anymore.  (RIP OpenSolaris)
>>
>> Mandriva mayn't be dead, but things are certainly smelling a bit funny...
>
> I won't miss it.  It was always the redhat like linux that was much
> worse than redhat.

I gotta say, all sentimentality aside, when I switched to Debian after
about 6 years of Mandrake/iva, it was like, 'ooooh, so _that's_ what
Linux is supposed to be like...'

Mandriva made me feel like a know-it-all because I had to be to keep
it running. What a mess.

--
TBM