ivtv initialization error, ir control of Rogers set-top box

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 19 22:04:28 UTC 2010

| From: Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org>

| I am getting really frustrated trying to set up my mythtv world.

I find it can get to be a tarpit because so many finicky things have
to work.

| I had been using mythtv for several years with an *old* Fedora installation.
| Happy, but the machine was too big and too much of a power hog,

Me too.  I've not got my new setup humming along well enough to
replace my old one.

| so I've gone
| to a mini-itx Foxconn board with an Atom 410 on Debian Lenny.
|
| I still haven't got the X doing the 1920x1200 mode that my monitor wants, but
| it does other modes, so I'm moving on.
|
| I have mythtv installed, but when it boots up ivtv mostly doesn't initialize
| properly.  The driver calls request_irq but gets back a -16 code, which means
| from the man page:
| 	EBUSY - There exists a registered handler for the requested interrupt.
| but /proc/interrupts only lists about 10 numbered interrupts, I don't know
| which one it wants, and I don't know if I can specify an alternate.  ivtv is
| the last module loaded, so possibly if I could move it earlier in the boot
| sequence it would work better.

I don't know my way around Debian.  In particular, I don't know what
to expect of stable vs testing vs unstable.

I wonder if stable (lenny) is behind the times with X and with IVTV.

Consider, as an experiment, Mythbuntu.  There is a live version so you
might not have to trash your Lenny.

Even with current Mythbuntu I have to build a new set of modules to
support my Hauppauge HVR-1600 cards.  At least I think that I have to
(it is possible that Ubuntu has updated the drivers since the last
time I ran into trouble).

| Also, I have digital (not HD) cable, so I'm going to connect the s-video to
| the PVR-350, so I need to find a card so I can tell the set-top box to change
| channels.  Any guidance on where to find this (especially locally), and/or how
| to set it up is appreciated.

Are you hoping to use the PVR-350's video out?  I have the vague
impression that the drivers to do that have fallen into disprepair.
Sad.

My Foxconn box only has VGA out so it isn't really up to driving a TV
set.  And its fan is noisier than I'd like, especially for that
application.  Mine is a "Foxconn R20-D2 Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10
Intel GMA 3150 Barebone".
<http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119024&AID=10657534&PID=749547&SID=forums&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA>
My box only takes one Low Profile PCI card.  Your box must be
different since the PVR-350 appears to be full height.

I was going to test video with my Foxconn in order to see whether it
had a problem like yours.  Well, cutting a long story short, one of
the DIMMs seems to be ever-so-slightly bad.  This (I think) caused
rather odd behaviour when I booted the system.  There are some other
oddities, so I may not have gotten to the bottom of the problem.

I think RHEL 6 was using the native Intel video driver, not VESA.