Microsoft criticizes Brazilian government's position about free software

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 17 16:41:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote:

> The fact is that our government is changing almost everything for free
> software and open source. Brazil is adopting a strategy in this strict sense
> where the preference is to use open source whenever is possible.

Yes I'd noticed this and wished my countries would do the same...

Actually the Canadian government is pretty open to OSS but Brazil is
clearly favouring it.

> Microsoft is not accepting the fact that Brazil is embracing solutions that
> are more favorable to the country as well as an improvment to our
> technological autonomy.

Exactly.

A couple of decades ago Sweden identified foreign produced software that
they lacked the source code for as a threat to national security and then
promptly did nothing about it :)

> "Free Software - Socially fair, technologically feasible and economically
> sustainable."

Nice.

Rob

--