Rescue-and-Recovery partition on new Thinkpad

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 17:41:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:46:06PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> It is clearly nonsense.  But that doesn't stop them using it as an
> excuse for not supporting you.  I get a lot of nonsense when I phone
> support lines.  For that reason, I mostly don't bother phoning.

If they don't want to provide support if you don't run windows that
is fine, but the warrenty on the hardware can not have anything to do
with it.

The fact they hire monkeys with scripts to answer the phone if you call
with a hardware problem that insist it must be a problem with the software
first because their script says so, that is a very different problem.
Strangely I have never had a problem getting a computer fixed no matter
what OS was on it at the time.

So far every case I have read about where someone was told they wouldn't
get service because the machine didn't have windows when it was a hardware
issue did eventually get it fixed once they talked to someone higher up
with a brain that worked.

> I normally do leave MS Windows on my machines.
>
> It doesn't take much space relative to current disk sizes and once in
> a blue moon it might turn out to be useful.

Win7 seems to like at least 20GB for itself.  That is a good chunk of
a laptop drive.

> Too many manufacturers only provide firmware updates in a
> form that requires Windows for installation.
>
> I paid for it, so I want to have it.

I paid very little for my windows vista basic.  I did not want to have it.

> My main use for Windows is to apply updates to Windows.  A foolish
> waste of time.
>
> My Acer Revo 3610 computers come with Win7.  The sad thing is that the
> as-delivered system uses 3 of the 4 possible primary partitions
> already used.  Piggy piggy piggy.

Yeah, restore partition, system partition, main windows partition.

And windows 7 actually supports GPT so there wouldn't have to be any 4
primary partition limit in the first place.

--
Len Sorensen