Rescue-and-Recovery partition on new Thinkpad

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 16:46:06 UTC 2010

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| And if the HD failed does that mean you have no warrenty?  It is
| clearly nonsense for any company to claim you can't install another OS
| on a computer.

It is clearly nonsense.  But that doesn't stop them using it as an
excuse for not supporting you.  I get a lot of nonsense when I phone
support lines.  For that reason, I mostly don't bother phoning.

I normally do leave MS Windows on my machines.

It doesn't take much space relative to current disk sizes and once in
a blue moon it might turn out to be useful.

Too many manufacturers only provide firmware updates in a
form that requires Windows for installation.

I paid for it, so I want to have it.

My main use for Windows is to apply updates to Windows.  A foolish
waste of time.

My Acer Revo 3610 computers come with Win7.  The sad thing is that the
as-delivered system uses 3 of the 4 possible primary partitions
already used.  Piggy piggy piggy.