make a networked printer available to a subnet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 15:09:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:09:26AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> we have two wireless routers in our hose:
>
> - an old linksys running tomato-pppoe so teksavvy an avoid the Bell
> throttling;
> - a new d-link whose wireless network actually works, unlike the one on the
> linksys, which has been extremely erratic for years.
>
> The two routers are in separate parts of hte house, and our printer is
> attached (via cat5 cable) to the tomato-run router for arcane reasons.  It's
> an hp officejet (nice printing quality, a little slow & really expensive
> ink); here's the printers.conf listing from /etc/cups:
> <DefaultPrinter HP-Officejet-Pro-8500-A909a>
> Info HP Officejet Pro Print Function
> Location Downstairs
> MakeModel HP Officejet Pro 8500 a909a hpijs, 3.10.2
> DeviceURI hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A909a?zc=HP73DA4B
> State Idle
> StateTime 1284560250
> Type 8425500
> Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
> Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
> Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy retry-job
> </Printer>
>
> Here's my question:  how do I access this printer from the d-link's wireless
> network?  Do I have to open ports on one router or another?  The device uri
> has been converted to that odd hp:/, but as I remember it used to be and LPD
> queue on a fixed IP.  Again:  can I push the printer info out into the
> subnet, or is this a lost cause?

If you have it working with cups on a machine, then just have that
machine share the cups printer with the network.  By default cups does
NOT share printers.  You can change it using https://localhost:631/admin/

There is a checkbox for sharing.

Make sure you are not firewalling port 631 of course.

You won't even need to setup anything on the other machines as long as
they have the cups client software setup, they should auto detect the
printer once it is shared and just work.

--
Len Sorensen