make a networked printer available to a subnet

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 05:09:26 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

we have two wireless routers in our hose:

- an old linksys running tomato-pppoe so teksavvy an avoid the Bell
throttling;
- a new d-link whose wireless network actually works, unlike the one on the
linksys, which has been extremely erratic for years.

The two routers are in separate parts of hte house, and our printer is
attached (via cat5 cable) to the tomato-run router for arcane reasons.  It's
an hp officejet (nice printing quality, a little slow & really expensive
ink); here's the printers.conf listing from /etc/cups:
<DefaultPrinter HP-Officejet-Pro-8500-A909a>
Info HP Officejet Pro Print Function
Location Downstairs
MakeModel HP Officejet Pro 8500 a909a hpijs, 3.10.2
DeviceURI hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A909a?zc=HP73DA4B
State Idle
StateTime 1284560250
Type 8425500
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Printer>

Here's my question:  how do I access this printer from the d-link's wireless
network?  Do I have to open ports on one router or another?  The device uri
has been converted to that odd hp:/, but as I remember it used to be and LPD
queue on a fixed IP.  Again:  can I push the printer info out into the
subnet, or is this a lost cause?

Thanks as usual
matt