Wine versions and Debian

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 15 23:18:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 05:17:49PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote

> It was never a big deal when people were on IA-32; consider the mix of:
> a) IA-32 architecture,
> b) Windows code, compiled on and for IA-32,
> c) Linux kernel and libraries, running on IA-32,
> d) WINE, compiled on and for IA-32
>
> With IA-32 everywhere, everything matches, so there's no issue getting
> it all to work.
>
> When you change some of those layers to run x86-64, things get
> somewhat hairier.

  In the case of Gentoo, and I presume other distros, you *MUST* have
the 32-emulation or support libraries installed for WINE to run on a
64-bit install.  I neglected to do that.  Adding 32-bit support after
the initial install is downright hairy in Gentoo.  The recommended
method is a re-install.  To avoid that, I installed qemu-kvm, and then a
32-bit Gentoo guest.  In there, WINE sees all-32-bits, and is perfectly
happy.  I treat the guest as a remote machine and run 4NEC2 under WINE
pretending that I'm running an X app on a remote system, and displaying
on my machine.  Don't laugh, it works.