Rescue-and-Recovery partition on new Thinkpad

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 15 21:33:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Digimer <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10-09-15 04:40 PM, Michael Lauzon wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 15:56, Lennart Sorensen
>> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Warranty of the hardware can not be dependant on restoring to factory
>>> defaults.  If their techs need to restore to factory defaults to diagnose
>>> things, then they can do that themselves from their disks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Len Sorensen
>>
>> You'd be surprised how a lot of laptop/netbook manufacturers would
>> refuse warranty if the original OS is not present.
>
> From personal experience, Lenovo doesn't require this. I sent mine back
> with Linux and they didn't bat an eye.

Methinks the issue is all in how you present this.

If you bought a "Windows laptop," and they hear you asking for "Linux
support," then hackles may (somewhat legitimately!) go up, and they'll
be watching for anything that they can interpret as problematic.

If, on the other hand, they're told that "the hardware doesn't
function", and you keep the conversation to neutral matters, then they
are quite likely never to be aware of this.

"It doesn't turn on."

"You need to boot up the Windows rescue partition and..."

"It doesn't turn on, so I can't perform that step"  (no need to worry
them about the fact that that partition's long gone!)

If the hard drive is fried, then nobody can determine what's on it
(not on a $25/hr tech, anyways).

"The BIOS is telling me the hard drive is not recognized."  (at which
point, there are *no* partitions, for any OS...)