Fedora Core 12 Not Booting

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 11 19:37:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:56:15 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> | From: Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org>
>
> |    I used ext4 for my root partition.
> |
> |    Does this mean that everything would have worked if I had used ext3?
>
> No.  I was wrong.  By Fedora 12, grub supported ext4.
>
> <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Installation_Notes.html#sect-Release_Notes-Installation_Notes-ext4_for_boot_partitions>
>
>     2.1. Ext4 for boot partitions
>
>     Although ext4 was the default file system in Fedora 11, the
>     version of the GRUB bootloader included with Fedora 11 could not
>     read ext4 partitions. Fedora 11 therefore required a separate ext3
>     boot partition. The version of GRUB included in Fedora 12 now
>     supports ext4, so anaconda now allows you to place /boot on an
>     ext4 partition.
>
> Sorry.

Hugh,

   No problem.  I figured it out.

   My BIOS was ignoring my SATA drive.  I suspect that I had used the IDE as my boot device on my original Fedora Core_10 installation.  There was a setting in BIOS that toggled which was my primary drive for booting, and I have set it properly.

   These problems always seem to be something dumb.   :(

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org