Moving to IPv6

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 15:54:49 UTC 2010

>> - Network monitoring tools. Are you using something like Nagios to know
>> what's going on on your servers? It does not support IPv6.
>
> No idea.

This one is interesting.  From how I know Nagios, its just mysql,
apache and perl.  I would never have guessed in 100 years Nagios would
have issues with IPv6.  Do you mind sharing how you found it was
having issues with IPv6.  That would be a very handy information to
keep in mind going forward.

>> - Games. Try to connect WoW to IPv6-only network. Shall it work there?
>
> Good question.

Some none open source stuff will never work. For example games that
are no longer bringing revenue or print drivers for printers that are
no longer selling.  If we have to wait for those to be ready, we may
as well explicitly say migration is never going to happen. Either they
are set up again using open source code or they will need to be
disposed.

>> These are only the applications that I imagined while writing this. You can
>> add more. And as for ISPs, most of their core equipment already supports
>> IPv6, it is only the matter of configuring it. So they are ready, but
>> everyone
>> else is not.
>
> Firefox works with IPv6.  ssh works.  Lots of other things work too.
>
> --
Very true.  A case of glass being either half full or half empty

> Len Sorensen

William