Moving to IPv6

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 15:09:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 12:41:06AM +0000, Anton Verevkin wrote:
> I was dreaming of IPv6 for quite a while, specifically to get rid of NAT
> and all the problems that it brings. But what I learned about it is that
> it's not the ISPs that stop us from using it now, but the applications that
> are not ready yet. You are speaking about web-servers and DNS, and these
> are probably the only applications that do support IPv6 now. But let's
> have a look at what else we use:
> - Mail servers. Some do support IPv6, most do not. And you can not really
> send an email from IPv4 to IPv6 server.

Exchange defaults to IPv6 (which causes some issues with broken DNS
servers out there, ironicly enough those made by Microsoft in Win2k.)

> - IP telephony. Asterisk that I am running is still somewhere in alpha- or
> beta- for IPv6 support. I do not want to put that on my should-be-stable
> system.
> - Printing. Is your network printer capable of running IPv6? Even if it is
> attached to a Linux box and you are printing from Windows. I am not sure.

Just use a print server to spool, and you can run IPv4 from the print
server to the printer.  Minor issue, but a good point.

> - Network monitoring tools. Are you using something like Nagios to know
> what's going on on your servers? It does not support IPv6.

No idea.

> - Games. Try to connect WoW to IPv6-only network. Shall it work there?

Good question.

> These are only the applications that I imagined while writing this. You can
> add more. And as for ISPs, most of their core equipment already supports
> IPv6, it is only the matter of configuring it. So they are ready, but
> everyone
> else is not.

Firefox works with IPv6.  ssh works.  Lots of other things work too.

--
Len Sorensen