Fedora Core 12 Not Booting

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 04:27:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 09:16:14PM -0400, Howard Gibson wrote:
>    I have just installed Fedora Core 12 on my desktop, and it is not
>    booting.  I am using the ext4 filesystem on my root partition.  I
>    have an old IDE drive as a backup, and a 500GB SATA drive as my
>    primary.  I am using the SATA drive, partition /dev/sdb1 for
>    booting.  I see the BIOS messages, then I get a gray, blinking
>    cursor.
>
>    I have tried the rescue DVD, and I can activate a command line with
>    `chroot /mnt/sysimage`.  I can see stuff installed on my drives.
>
>    Does this look familiar to anyone?

I'm also booting from /dev/sdb1 (Slackware LILO).  Normally, okey.  But,
if I boot with USB key stick in or removeable harddisk in, I get a blank
screen, also.  That's because what was 2nd disk is now 3rd or 4th disk.
I seem to remember Fedora's GRUB being more sensitive to boot order than
Slackware's LILO.

--
William