Moving to IPv6

Anton Verevkin anton-P5WJPa9AKEc1GQ1Ptb7lUw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 00:41:06 UTC 2010

"James Knott" <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In the mean
> time, call your ISP and ask about when IPv6 will be available.  Then ask
> them why they're behind the times.  ;-)  Some hosting sites have IPv6
> available, so all you'd have to do is use it.

I was dreaming of IPv6 for quite a while, specifically to get rid of NAT
and all the problems that it brings. But what I learned about it is that
it's not the ISPs that stop us from using it now, but the applications that
are not ready yet. You are speaking about web-servers and DNS, and these
are probably the only applications that do support IPv6 now. But let's
have a look at what else we use:
- Mail servers. Some do support IPv6, most do not. And you can not really
send an email from IPv4 to IPv6 server.
- IP telephony. Asterisk that I am running is still somewhere in alpha- or
beta- for IPv6 support. I do not want to put that on my should-be-stable
system.
- Printing. Is your network printer capable of running IPv6? Even if it is
attached to a Linux box and you are printing from Windows. I am not sure.
- Network monitoring tools. Are you using something like Nagios to know
what's going on on your servers? It does not support IPv6.
- Games. Try to connect WoW to IPv6-only network. Shall it work there?

These are only the applications that I imagined while writing this. You can
add more. And as for ISPs, most of their core equipment already supports
IPv6, it is only the matter of configuring it. So they are ready, but
everyone
else is not.

Regards,
Anton