Moving to IPv6

sciguy-Lmt0BfyYGMw at public.gmane.org sciguy-Lmt0BfyYGMw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 21:31:59 UTC 2010

Wikipedia also says there will be address exhaustion in a year. Forgive me
if I'm wrong, but it seems the way that in the proposed IPv6, the way the
address space will be allocated will make it possible for IPv4 to still
work. An IPv4 address of A.B.C.D will be equal to an IPv6 address of
A.B.C.D.0.0.0.0, for instance. Would a router have a problem with the
trailing zeroes (the correct behaviour appears to be to toss them out)?
The last four groups of hex digits make it possible to add more hierarchy
to networks, making for a more finely-tuned management of the network.

That may explain why there is not much of a panic, despite an agreed upon
exhaustion of numbers by 2011. All that might really happen is your ISP
will assign an IPv6 number, and your router will just ignore the last 4
sequences (which are probably just zeroes anyway), if all it knows is
IPv4.

Just wondering out loud. Not sure if any of this makes sense.

Paul King