Moving to IPv6

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 16:25:13 UTC 2010

Some of you may have noticed me talking about IPv6 lately.  IPv6 is
coming and is necessary, as IPv4 addresses are estimated to reach
exhaustion within a year.  Everyone, particularly those managing web
sites or business networks, should be making plans to support IPv6
ASAP.  I realize that many ISPs do not yet support IPv6, so some method,
such as using a tunnel broker, is required while waiting for ISPs to get
up to date.  I use gogoNET http://gogonet.gogo6.com.  Another is
Hurricane Electric http://he.net and there are others.  In the mean
time, call your ISP and ask about when IPv6 will be available.  Then ask
them why they're behind the times.  ;-)  Some hosting sites have IPv6
available, so all you'd have to do is use it.  DNS servers will require
AAAA record support, but BIND has supported that for several years.

Here's a link to an article about moving to IPv6, with some more links
to other articles.
http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/ipv6/141456

BTW, for some reason, Seamonkey, on either Linux or Windows, does not
like this site.  Firefox and IE work fine.

On my own network, I use OpenSUSE 11.0 (soon to be updated) on an old
computer for my firewall.  I use the tunnel to get a subnet with 2^72
addresses and all computers on my network, including my smart phone, get
an IPv6 address automagically.  When I'm away from home, I use the
client to get a single IPv6 address on my ThinkPad.