Public Transit (was: today is the day)

Stewart Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 20:19:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I just
> couldn't help marvel at American Interstate system.  It makes affordable housing
> possible, which is "American Dream" after all.

I think we have the streetcar suburbs of the early 20th century to
thank for that. Dig though any of the old streetcar maps for any NA
city on the David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
<http://www.davidrumsey.com/>, and you'll be amazed how far out they
go. The Eisenhower interstates came much later.

 Stewart

(who doesn't apologize for the number of hours you'll lose on David
Rumsey's website)

--
http://scruss.com/blog/