[OT] Public Transit

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 19:57:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:41:24PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>> Toronto has always had bits of brilliant transit planning squished between
>> large mounds of mediocrity.
>>
>> Brilliance: Building capacity for trains under the Bloor Viaduct ages before
>> the trains were designed.
>
> That one was absolutely briliant.

Well, almost. As you can read in the following history of the
Bloor-Danforth line the Bloor Viaduct was built with an underground
streetcar line in mind:

-  transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5104.shtml

The provisioning for a streetcar line under the Bloor Viaduct helped a
LOT, but the TTC did have to deal with sharp turns just west of the
viaduct (turns that would not have been an issue for a streetcar to
manage, but were for a subway)...

>> Mediocrity: Putting the northwest line in the ditch made by the Spadina
>> Expressway cock-up.
>
> I thought they always meant to have a subway/rail in the middle of
> the expressway.  I consider that to have been a smart plan given they
> were tearing up the area anyhow.
>
>> Brilliance: maintaining streetcars in the face of political pressure and a
>> continental shift away from them
>
> Well some of them.  Of course one way streets have broken some of the
> existing streetcar lines they used to have.

A bit of the history of the current CLRV (Canadian Light Rail
Vehicle), and how Toronto streets have a Swiss designed street car:

- transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4503.shtml

Going forward, the next generation of TTC streetcars will be based off
the Bombardier FLEXITY streetcars:

- www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/light-rail-vehicles?docID=0901260d8000a536

So, the TTC is going for a more-or-less off the shelf design. If you
look at the various cities you will see that some cities have tweaked
the design one way or another, I kind of like the ship style motif
FLEXITY streetcars that were done for Marseille, France:

- www.bombardier.com/files/en/supporting_docs/image_and_media/products/BT-FLEXITY_Outlook_Marseille.jpg

>> Mediocrity: The Scarborough LRT

The TTC wanted to run streetcars where the Scarborough LRT runs (a
technology the TTC was/is comfortable with), but due to political
pressure they went with the current system, details to be seen here:

- transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5107.shtml

What I think will go down as Brilliance: Design of the Sheppard line.
The trains that run on the Yonge-University-Spadina and the
Bloor-Danforth line are all 6 train cars long. On the Sheppard line
trains are 4 cars long (not enough demand at present to justify longer
trains). But if you pay attention to each of the stations on the
Sheppard line, you will see they have made it easy to convert stations
to 6 car operation (knock down a piece of wall and do some tile
work...).