Public Transit

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 16:53:44 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:12:56AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>
>> The problem is no matter how much public transit there is, there will
>> still be a need for roads.  For many, public transit is simply not an
>> option.  Regardless, Toronto's public transit would be much better, if
>> so many plans hadn't been killed over the years.
>>
> Why is public transit not an option?  If it worked well it would be
> an option.  So the solution is to make it work, not to cater to those
> people that insist on driving.

I normally used transit when I worked in downtown Toronto.  However, for
a few years, I worked in Markham and lived in Mississauga.  There was no
way to get to & from work, via transit, in a reasonable time.  Also, in
some of my work, I've had to travel to customer sites, carrying
computer, tools and several boxes of equipment.  I've driven as far as
Windsor, Sudbury and Kingston (also flown to Halifax, Vancouver and
points in between) to do that work.  Try doing all that on public transit.

Some people have health issues that prevent them using transit.

Also many work schedules that cannot be accomodated by transit.  I
experienced that myself, years ago, when I had to drive into work on
Sundays.  Back then, it was impossible for me to take transit, other
than taxi, to get to work on Sunday morning.  There simply were not any
buses/streetcars/Go Trains etc. that I could take for that trip and make
it to work on time.  Incidentally, around that time (mid '80s), a
Mississauga councillor was saying we didn't need transit on Sunday.
When I called him to tell him that some people needed it to get to work,
he told me I should be going to church on Sundays!