Public Transit

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 16:01:40 UTC 2010

On 10-10-27 11:53 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:12:56AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> The problem is no matter how much public transit there is, there will
>> still be a need for roads.  For many, public transit is simply not an
>> option.  Regardless, Toronto's public transit would be much better, if
>> so many plans hadn't been killed over the years.
>
> Why is public transit not an option?  If it worked well it would be
> an option.  So the solution is to make it work, not to cater to those
> people that insist on driving.

For "many".  My commute, when I do it, is from south Etobicoke to
central Markham, and that's a two-hour trip by public transit.  It can
be a two-hour trip by road too, but it's more commonly 30..40 minutes.

That said, the City of London (i.e. financial district) was handling 1
million commuters every weekday around the year 1920 (source: a
speaker on TVO).  The 401/427/QEW routes are choking up now at about
half that load.  There's clearly room to do better.

	Mel.