Office Software Politics

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 05:52:25 UTC 2010

On 26 October 2010 21:48, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Perhaps naively, I think that this is bad for both OO and LO.
>

> Well, it (ie, the fracturing of loyalties, and the emergence of two
parallel communities) can't be good. But I think that the corporate culture
of Oracle is coming across as too heavy handed for the OOo folks. OTOH,
emergence of the new project as independent from any one vendor may actually
increase involvement from companies such as Red Hat that would not support
something so closely tied to a competitor.

Arguably, though, this is happening at a time when cloud-based services such
as Google Docs are threatening all desktop suites. I use Impress more than
Writer or calc these days because most documents that are not private (and
especially those being done collaboratively) are well suited to cloud
services.

Inevitably I see something similar happening to mySQL. And the PostgresSQL
folks are just sitting back and being patient...

- Evan