today is the day

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 21:00:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 04:43:36PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I am honestly mystified by the hatred of Miller in this city. No one
> can ever tell me _why_ they hate him, I just get this 'well he's
> really left wing'.
>
> Facts are simple. Miller moved this city forward with significant
> investments in transit, saved Toronto billions of future dollars by
> negotiating an end to the city workers banked holiday pay, and if
> anyone would just take the time, rather than simply repeat the
> nonsense from the pundits on the idiot box, they would see that Miller
> has a pretty good vision for this city, and he has reasonable plans
> for accomplishing this vision. Everything is right on the front page
> of his website.

Well Miller decided a bridge to the island airport was a bad idea and
claimed that getting elected meant the people supported his idea.  Well I
think he was just the least bad choice at the time and lots of people did
not agree with his entire platform and highly disagreed with parts of it.
Certainly a lot of his platform was popular and he got elected, but not
all of it.

As for transit, what has he really done?  Looks pretty much the same now
as when he was originally elected.  Sure there is talks of extending
the subway in a few places, sometime in the next decade.  I suppose
the streetcars got some dedicated lanes in a few places, which is a
good thing.  A lot of new busses get bought (paid for by other levels of
government as far as I recall), including some very unreliable hybrid
busses (It seems version 2 is working out a lot better than version 1
of those though so perhaps they will turn out OK).

> Oh, wait, I forgot, he's just a lying, leftie NDP elitist flunkie. Of
> course everything a right wing retard who barely made it through high
> school says is _much_ more trustworthy.
>
> I just don't understand why people see investment and development as
> some kind of great evil. To me, Pantalone was the obvious choice. The
> only one who wasn't repeating this myth that lower taxes are the
> salvation of people everywhere.

For people without much money, tax cuts don't help much.  They need
public services like transit and such.  I don't personally need them,
but I think they are a good idea, and I couldn't care less about tax cuts.
My taxes are just fine the way they are.

Just because I could afford to pay for things myself directly doesn't
mean I don't think publicly funded services aren't a better idea.
After all plenty of people can't afford to pay for it.

--
Len Sorensen