Office Software Politics

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 17:10:27 UTC 2010

On 26 October 2010 10:16, Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 6:58 PM, Sadiq Saif wrote:
> > I just got the .deb packages from their site, running smoothly on my
> > Ubuntu 10.10 system.
> >
> > Also, I don't know much about MySQL, but isn't it the industry standard
> > for web hosting databases etc.?
>
> MySQL is great.  It's not going to disappear, it may fork though.

I am already starting to hear and read a lot more noise about PostgreSQL as
an alternative backend with a community that has long been in the shadows of
mySQL. It's quite possible that there may be more activity to make it even
more suitable as a mySQL replacement.

IMHO, Oracle should sell the copyright on the MySQL codebase, it's a
> conflict of interest to keep it... it's a competing product and it has
> real value.

It *was* a competing product. Now it can be a loss-leader, and Oracle's way
to take on Microsoft in the low end.

Likely won't get sold.