why does Ubuntu need so large a USB stick?

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-CzeTG9NwML0 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 21 22:19:54 UTC 2010

I assume this is to allow for the option of adding a persistence file. I've installed 10.10 to a 1GB USB stick for a friend, and had no issues running it.

I think, for clarity, that "we recommend a USB stick of at least 2GB be used" should be added, as it isn't a hard and fast rule, but seems to be more of a guideline when using a USB stick for running Ubuntu.