dpkg error on apt-get upgrade

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 21 21:43:13 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 16:36, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 03:30:19PM -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
>>
>> If I'm using a relatively special (limited) install this seems like it would be fairly reasonable.  I think rather than "unstable" I'd put "sid" in my /etc/apt/sources.list so that I would track that as it moved, eventually, to stable.
>
> It won't.  sid == unstable.  Remember in toy story sid is the kid next
> door that destroys toys.  So sid is where things may be broken.  sid is
> also not a toy.  All the Debian releases are named after toys in toy
> story.

When I said eventually stable, I assumed via testing.  I thought that lenny was once unstable, then it was testing, then it was released as stable.  sid is the release that is currently equivalent to unstable; when squeeze becomes stable, will not lenny become oldstable, sid become testing, and a copy of sid be made under another name (which you referenced as already having been decided upon) and that will be the new unstable?

> The way it works is that when a new release happens, it changes
> from testing to stable.  A copy of the new stable then becomes the
> new testing with a new name, and packages from unstable continue to
> trickle in if they stay relatively bug free as development progresses.
> Some packages may never leave unstable if they never become bug free
> enough.  So sid/unstable will never become a release.

No, but won't sid/unstable eventually become sid/testing and sid/testing eventually become sid/stable and be a release?

>> To move to sid, I found a page that said to add:
>>
>> 	deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
>>
>> to sources.list and then:
>>
>> 	apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>>
>> *Then* do I remove all the references to lenny from my sources.list file?  I have a later kernel from backports; will that be upgraded too?

Can someone confirm?

Thanks  ../Dave--