dpkg error on apt-get upgrade

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 21 19:30:19 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 14:59, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> If you run unstable you see it occationally.  In testing it should almost
> never happen.  Certainly in stable it does not happen.

This is something I've been wondering... I guess it's quite reasonable to run unstable.  The Debian releases page says about unstable:

> run by developers and those who like to live on the edge.

If I'm using a relatively special (limited) install this seems like it would be fairly reasonable.  I think rather than "unstable" I'd put "sid" in my /etc/apt/sources.list so that I would track that as it moved, eventually, to stable.

To move to sid, I found a page that said to add:

	deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

to sources.list and then:

	apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

*Then* do I remove all the references to lenny from my sources.list file?  I have a later kernel from backports; will that be upgraded too?

Thanks for any help

../Dave--