dpkg error on apt-get upgrade

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 21 17:14:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 09:00:14AM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
>> I ran an apt-get upgrade and for the first time ever (testament to the
>> perfection of Debian) I got an error:
>>
>> Preparing to replace lives-data 1:1.0.0-0.0 (using
>> .../lives-data_1%3a1.3.10-0.1_all.deb) ...
>> Unpacking replacement lives-data ...
>> dpkg: error processing
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/lives-data_1%3a1.3.10-0.1_all.deb (--unpack):
>>  trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/build-lives-rfx-plugin', which is also
>> in package lives 1:1.0.0-0.0
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  /var/cache/apt/archives/lives-data_1%3a1.3.10-0.1_all.deb
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>>
>> Tried Google, but not sure what part of that to google, mostly get no
>> hits. It looks like I've got a permissions problem, it can't overwrite
>> the old binaries?
>>
>> First time I've ever run into this, so I'm lost. Any hints?
>
> So a file has moved from one package to another and was not flagged
> properly (at least that's the normal cause).
>
> Try removing 'lives' then install lives-data and lives again.
>
> Make sure to file a bug report on the package too about the missing
> 'Replaces' flag.  With the flag dpkg will know how to handle the moving
> of a file from one package to another by doing the ordering right.

Excellent, that did it. Thankfully it's not some package with 400
dependencies, that could make a mess. Incredible that in a few years
of use, this is the first time I've ever experienced an error like
this. Now that's quality control.

Thanks!

--
TBM