OT: websites calling external scripts

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 19 19:56:17 UTC 2010

I know this isn't strictly the correct list for this, but I know a
number of you work in web development and I respect the knowledge of
the people on this list.  So I thought I'd give this a try.

I'm trying to create a comprehensive (hah!) list of external scripts
called by a website I'm working on.  As it's developed by a number of
people and we use several technologies, this isn't simple.  Of course
as soon as you call someone else's JavaScript you allow the
possibility of their calling someone else's site entirely, and calls
like that can change at their whim - so any list I manage to create is
transitory.

What I'd like is an application like Xenu Link Sleuth
(http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) that spiders a site and
lists off all calls required to load the web page that aren't on the
primary host.  So far the best I've managed is looking at pages
the calls made during page load.  But this would require crawling
hundreds of pages by hand - extremely error-prone and tedious.
Possible solutions for a site-wide crawl would seem to call for a good
deal of scripting, which A) I probably won't be given time for and B)
may still be re-inventing the wheel.

Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org