Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead

Collier-Brown, David (LNG-CAN) David.Collier-Brown-ghy6y1RO5ssFyWsGDH9TEg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 19 13:19:35 UTC 2010

  On the other hand, the big screen and quality keyboard still live on my desk, and get plugged into the moderately small device I carry around.  The server they used to be plugged into is now headless and on the shelf in the corner.

--dave

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Fabio FZero
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 11:39 PM
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 23:04, Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Fabio,
>
>   Is the desktop really dying?

Yes.

>   I accept you can do email on a Blackberry, but can you do serious work on one.  For any kind of documentation, I go looking for the largest screen I can.  This is absolutely necessary for CAD and for spreadsheets.  It is less critical for word processing, although I love having two documents side by side up on my screen.

See what I said about the computer being your cellphone and connecting
it to a bigger, "empty" device to do that.

>   How secure is the cloud?  If I want something secure, it goes on _my_ computer, and it stays there.  The application is contained within my computer too.  When I see free stuff offered by servers, I want to know where their revenue stream comes from.

Ok, step back a little and think about the configuration of your first
computer. If you had an Apple II or one of the first IBM PCs, probably
your wristwatch has more processing power than that.

If we're talking 386 or even a Pentium, well... my cellphone has more
power *and* memory than that.

Now think how things are going to be 5 years from now.

Yep, the desktop is dead a doornail.

- Fabio