Fwd: Ubuntu 10.10 is Released

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 19 05:32:25 UTC 2010

As described in another TLUG email thread, the major UI change in the
Netbook version of Ubuntu is a horrible step in the wrong direction unless
you have a touchscreen system. After installing it Friday on my EeePC I am
quickly looking to either revert to 10.04, or try the Kubuntu netbook system
which appears to be more conventional. In this case immaturity may be an
asset!

The attempt by Canonical to get into tablet space at the expense of its
existing netbook users is IMO a serious mistake and cannot succeed, Even
Meego -- itself a cartoonish-looking also-ran in a crowded field of handheld
and tablet OSs -- looks better at this point. Usually the Ubuntu team has
had its strategy right but the 10.10 netbook is IMO one massive fail.

OTOH, I've upgraded my Kubuntu desktops to 10.10 and the improvements, while
incremental and often subtle, are noticeable and all positive. A serious
video-card stability problem with one of my systems _appears_ to have been
corrected by the update and for that I am grateful.

- Evan