Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 19 03:04:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:40:50 -0400
Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> But I would worry too much, since the desktop itself is kind of dying
> too. Things are changing, people. That's not necessarily bad.
>
> - Fabio

Fabio,

   Is the desktop really dying?

   I accept you can do email on a Blackberry, but can you do serious work on one.  For any kind of documentation, I go looking for the largest screen I can.  This is absolutely necessary for CAD and for spreadsheets.  It is less critical for word processing, although I love having two documents side by side up on my screen.

   How secure is the cloud?  If I want something secure, it goes on _my_ computer, and it stays there.  The application is contained within my computer too.  When I see free stuff offered by servers, I want to know where their revenue stream comes from.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org