Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Version -- one step forward, 10 steps back

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 18 16:57:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've upgraded my Ubuntu netbook to 10.10 and it's a massive step down.

Canonical has made a strategic decision
<http://blog.canonical.com/?p=446>to chase not only Apple and
Microsoft, but also Google and RIM and Intel
into the realm of touch and tablets. Based on what I see on my little Asus
this is a stunningly bad decision. I only hope they don't burn too many
bridges and force too many others away in the process of alienating their
core.

In making the new Ubuntu Netbook distribution touch-friendly, they've made
desktop administration and customization a nightmare. There's pride in
eliminating the taskbar at the bottom, but it's been replaced with a bigger
apps/taskbar at the left. Documentation is sparse and they're no help icon.

Microsoft found that you couldn't just simply adapt a desktop UI to a tablet
and expect it to work well. In 10.10, Ubuntu (or more probably Canonical,
seeing some revenue potential in embedded devices) has made the opposite
mistake in chosing to switch to a tablet-focused UI, and those of us still
with mice and touchpads and sticks can fend for ourselves. Even if they make
massive strides in this system they'll be far behind the others in this
field.

They have no chance of succeeding to compete with iOS or Android or WebOS or
WinMo7, certainly with this tech. I only hope they don't completely screw
over their traditional laptop users in pursuit of tablet vendors. Meanwhile.
I'll have a serious look at the Kubuntu netbook edition and maybe -- if
desperate -- Meego.

- Evan