how to solve Ubuntu setlocale() warning

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 13 22:16:00 UTC 2010

Thanks for all the responses to my Ubuntu repository question.   I've managed
to get a system configured with all the necessary tools now.

When I run any BASH script I get a setlocale() warning.   It doesn't seem to
affect the script but I'd like to see if I can remove it.   Here is a snip of
the warning:

=========== begin snip1 ============
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)
hi bob
=========== end snip 1 =============

I poked around the Net.  Some suggested running "dpkg-reconfigure locale".
Did that and nothing much changed.   Here is the response I get when I run
"locale" on the system:

=========== begin snip2 =============
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"