ubuntu repository question

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 13 14:12:03 UTC 2010

Hello,

A couple of tips:

1) To look for packages related to application 'app':

$ sudo apt-cache search app

(or with aptitude as well)

When trying to install a package 'apt' will prompt if you want to install the
dependent packages it found.

2) To list available packages versions within the distro  you can
use apt-show-versions:

$ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions

For example to show available and installed package gcc:

$ sudo apt-show-versions -p gcc

Cheers,
Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com