No sound in ubuntu 10.04 under X-Windows

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 9 13:02:55 UTC 2010

Hello

Anyone using Ubuntu 10.04? I have a problem with sound. I can hear sound
if I log on to a character console as root (a TTY, not an xterm), but
not under any X-Windows applications.

If I log onto a TTY as myself, I can only get sound if I use sudo, as in

_$ sudo mpg123 Mrag.mp3

which will work. This trick does not work in X-Windows if I sudo in an
xterm.

I un-muted everything under alsamixer, and still nothing, following a
reccomendation at the Ubuntu website for troubleshooting sound.

It seems to be a problem affecting only my user account under X-Windows.
When I log off, I hear the requisite bongo drums.

Any suggestions?

Paul