Firefox compilation question

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 9 04:25:11 UTC 2010

  Before totally giving up on Firefox, I want to try building it
manually.  It seems that that the Gentoo build force-feeds a lot of
"options" that I don't want.  I want to give it one last fair try.

  A long time ago, in a place far away, I used to build Mozilla 0.9x
"the hard way", because the downloadable binary was painfully slow on my
machine.  And later on Phoenix 0.9x (remember that?).  I've forgotten
most of what I learned, but I can follow the instructions at
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Simple_Firefox_build   I have a couple
of questions before proceeding...

1) what do I have to set to force all files to be installed in /opt or
in /usr/local ?  Because this is outside of Gentoo's control, I'd like
to be able to keep all the manually-built stuff in a separate directory.

2) I've got 8 gigs of ram.  How do I force the compiler to use /dev/shm
as the scratch directory ?