Why not to buy cheap power supplies

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 7 18:27:13 UTC 2010

Fabio FZero wrote:
> That's nothing. It was pretty common to find power supplies in Brazil
> that had two wattages: a "peak" one (that would be your 500W) and a
> "regular" (around 300W).

That reminds me of some of the stereo ads of many years ago, when they
posted *VERY* optimistic power levels.  They'd use terms like "peak to
peak" power, whatever that nonsense is supposed to be.  Then in the
computer world we had CPUs rated by what speed of '286 CPU would give
the same performance.  Anyone here remembmer "Winmarks" in a certain
computer vendors ads?