IPv4 to IPv6...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 7 15:21:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 09:01:52PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Are you saying that PBX extenders would do PPPoE but could not
> function as ADSL modems?  What an odd capability.

PPPoE is just software.  Any device with an ethernet port can trivially
support it.  Just about all wifi routers support it.  Nothing odd
about that.  ADSL hardware on the other hand is not trivial and hence
not worth including in most routers, only those that are specificly
intended to connect to an ADSL line.

> Were the "good" modems just modems and the "bad" ones modem + PPPoE
> client + router-that-cannot-be-configured-usefully?

I suspect the "good" modems were ones that let you choose which way
they operated.  The older ones were just modems and nothing else, but
I suspect Bell stopped suppliying those some years ago given they now
love to advertise that their internet service includes wifi for your
laptop.

> True.  Not quite static.  It changes every year or two for me.

Close enough to static for many people though.

--
Len Sorensen