IPv4 to IPv6...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 23:03:27 UTC 2010

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| The boxes had only RFC1918 addresses.  I couldn't see a way to change it and
| Sympatico "help" wasn't able to tell me either.

OK, I think that we have a communicatinos gap.

I don't know what you were trying to do that the router wasn't
supporting.  My guess is that it isn't a router limitation but one
further upstream.

The real issue is surely routing within the Bell system.  It is likely
that there was no way to get Bell to route IP addresses assigned by
ARIN to you (if you even had any).

Normally, if you need routable IP addresses (plural), they would be
assigned to you by your upstream (Bell) via some contractual
arrangement.  ARIN only gives out portable IP addresses to big fish (I
got mine about 20 years ago under different rules).

If you have routable addresses in another site (with another provider)
you can create a tunnel that lets the address to be attached to a
machine elsewhere.

Rogers used to let you pay extra to get a second routable IP address.
Those were very slow moving dynamic IP addresses.  Bell's are fairly
fast moving dynamic IP addresses (and hence less useful for serving).

Can you summarise what you were trying to do and how you were
blocked.?