IPv4 to IPv6...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 18:19:43 UTC 2010

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| That's what Bell provides these days.  It used to be they supplied nice
| simple ADSL modems and it was up to the end user's PC or other equipment
| to take care of PPPoE.  They used to provide PPPoE connection manager
| software for windows users.  As far as I recall the PPPoE support in
| Linux was originally done by someone in Ontario that wanted to connect
| to Bell's new ADSL service (after they started converting away from the
| old Nortel proprietary system).  That was in the late 90s.  Had the
| modems back then had built in routers there would probably have been a
| lot less need for PPPoE support in linux.

Roaring Penguin PPPoE.  Written by David Skoll of Ottawa.  Their main
product now is email filtering.  David's brother is Jeffrey Skoll,
the first EBay president and philanthropist.

The original ADSL modems were just modems.  That's what I use (an Alcatel
SpeedTouch Home).

Newer modems usually include routers but no switch (i.e. a router with
only one ethernet socket).  The ones I've looked at will suppress the
router function if you talk through them with PPPoE.  For example,
<http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?pmodel=TD-8817>
often available for less than $20.  I bought that one as a spare and
have tested the "suppressed router" mode.

Some include a switch and have 4 ethernet ports and sometimes a
802.11x interface.  I don't know if you can suppress the router
function on those.

I prefer to control the router.  I actually use a PC as a gateway.  It
does firewalling and VPNing and some other server functions.  In my
copious spare time I intend to try to migrate all that into an OpenWRT
box.

I guess that there is no reason that the PPPoE processor needs to be a
router but those functions seem to be combined in one unit. By doing
PPPoE in my gateway, I guess I'm getting better logging.