IPv4 to IPv6...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 16:14:39 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> 6in4 tunneling adds 20 bytes on top of what IPv4 PPPoE already needed.
> The 6in4 still runs on top of PPPoE after all, so it is in addition,
> not instead of.

Lets review that article linked to in the original post.  It talks about
modifying a WRT54G router to support IPv6 to an ADSL ISP.  Does that
ADSL service support IPv6 over PPPoE directly?  Or does it require the
PPP link be carried over IPv4?  That router, as far as I know, does not
connect directly to the phone line.  I have worked with industrial level
routers that support ADSL through a plug in module.  However, as those
routers supported only IPv4, you couldn't send IPv6 over that ADSL line,
without some form of tunnelling.