IPv4 to IPv6...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 15:50:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 11:30:30AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> If the ADSL modem can be configured so that it provides only ethernet to
> the router, then you'd wind up with IPv6 over PPPoE, in the same manner
> as ADSL provides IPv4 over PPPoE.  The router mentioned in the article
> is the Linksys WRT54G, which, last I heard, does not connect directly to
> a phone line to provide ADSL service.  However, some ISPs provide a
> router that does.

Certainly most if not all of the ADSL modems I have ever seen teksavvy
sell, provide ethernet only.  They are not routers, and they do not run
PPPoE in the modem (that would be a router job after all), and they do
not have IP of any kind.

The other things are combined ADSL modems and routers.  I got one of those
for my sister when she got ADSL which is a router/ADSL2+ modem/Wifi AP
in one.  Very handy.

--
Len Sorensen