IPv4 to IPv6...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 14:29:18 UTC 2010

Scott Allen wrote:
> On 6 October 2010 08:16, James Knott<james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>
>> "First of all, the service is provided over native PPP, there is no
>> tunneling involved or 6to4 like most other providers."
>>
>> That doesn't make sense. [...]
>>
> They probably mean that they negotiate true IPV6 over PPP (actually
> PPPoE) instead of negotiating IPV4 over PPP and then using 6to4 or
> some other tunneling method over IPV4.

That's what I thought, but it's still tunnelling IPv6 > PPP > ethernet
vs IPv6 > ethernet.  Of course IPv4 does the same, IPv4 > PPP >
ethernet.  From a functional view, there's no difference between
encapsulating IPv6 in PPPoE vs IPv6 in IP protocol 41.  However, since
they're modifying a router, which adds an additional step, they now have
IPv6 > PPP, which is then carried by IPv4 PPPoE to Teksavyy.  This is
necessary because they are not modifying the ADSL modem.  There is a
similar router mod for the tunnel broker I use.